History

Big Sewee Creek Bridge (1914)

National Register of Historic Places  Sewee Creek Rd., Decatur, TN 

Blythe Ferry (1809)

National Register of Historic Places  TN-60 at the Tennessee River, Birchwood, TN  Blythe Ferry was established at the confluence of the Hiwassee and Tennessee Rivers in 1809 by William Blythe and his Cherokee wife Nancy Fields. The ferry was an important...

Bradford Rymer Barn (1930)

National Register of Historic Places  State Route 1, Georgetown, TN 

Cherokee Removal Memorial Park & Walking Trail at Blythe Ferry

6800 Blythe Ferry Ln., Birchwood, TN | 423-339-2769  The Tennessee River Valley was first inhabited by generations of Native Americans, and Meigs County contains many prehistoric sites. The Cherokees later occupied the area until it was...

Decatur United Methodist Church (1859)

National Register of Historic Places  145 Vernon St., Decatur, TN | (423) 334-4130

Dixon’s BBQ – former Meigs County Bank Building (1920)

National Register of Historic Places  365 Abel Ave., Decatur, TN 

E.G. McKenzie Log House (1876)

(private property)  355 Ford Rd., Decatur, TN 

Former Robert Smith Law Office (1880)

National Register of Historic Places  200 Smith Ave., Decatur, TN 

Former site of Washington Ferry (1807)

(aka Hastings-Locke Ferry) (1807)  National Register of Historic Places  TN-30 at the Tennessee River, Decatur, TN 

Goodfield Cemetery

Goodfield Rd., Decatur, TN 

History

The Tennessee River Valley was first inhabited by generations of Native Americans, and Meigs County contains many prehistoric and Cherokee sites. Hiwassee Island, at the mouth of the Hiwassee River, is the site of a large Mississippian Period town dating from the 11th century A.D. Before 1819 treaties ceded large swaths of land to Tennessee, Meigs County was part of the Cherokee Nation. In 1838, most of the...

read more

Blythe Ferry (1809)

National Register of Historic Places  TN-60 at the Tennessee River, Birchwood, TN  Blythe Ferry was established at the confluence of the Hiwassee and Tennessee Rivers in 1809 by William Blythe and his Cherokee wife Nancy Fields. The ferry was an important...

Cherokee Removal Memorial Park & Walking Trail at Blythe Ferry

6800 Blythe Ferry Ln., Birchwood, TN | 423-339-2769  The Tennessee River Valley was first inhabited by generations of Native Americans, and Meigs County contains many prehistoric sites. The Cherokees later occupied the area until it was...

Historic Hiwassee Island

Location: Hiwassee Island can be viewed from the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park Overlook.  Early Native American cultures occupied Hiwassee Island (aka Jolly’s Island) for thousands of years. Located at the confluence of the Tennessee River and Hiwassee...

Old Goodfield Cemetery

Sharp Rd., Decatur, TN  NEED MORE INFO:  Elisha Sharp House (now the Sharp-Wasson-Worth House, c. 1825) Old Pisgah Cemetery

Get In Touch

Get In Touch